Friday, June 16, 2006

Pride just ain't pink enough




Pride just ain't pink enough

This year I thought of creating a new look for my balconies. I have two, one in the shade that only gets sun from 7.30 hrs until around 10.30, the other has sun all day into early evening.
The one that has shade most of the day isn't doing too bad. I've added to things that have been growing there for some years now and slowly but surely it's getting there. Winter and early spring gave me a few tulips and helleborus to look at and after pruning the clematises back hard to about 30 centimeters around March I've managed to keep the amount of pests down to a reasonable number. In fact aphids only started appearing a week ago.

Over the past weeks there has been a few other flowers to enjoy as well. Some aquilegium and the lysimaggia (?) has started flowering as well. The wolfsbane has been coming along nicely as well and all the rest has started growing like mad. Only one flower on the clematis so far but they usually bloom on last years growth so next year should give a riot of cream, bright pink and greenish white flowers. I have three. The seeds of the pokeweed I found on a compost heap last year have come up nicely as well even though it's in a pot that's way too small for it. All in all I'm quite pleased.

It's the other balcony I'm not too happy with.
The tulips were a mixed success, some did well. Others started off healthily but died on me later on. Most of the daffodills did the same. Maybe they were growing in containers that were too small. I've taken them out of their pots anyway and let them dry so I can plant them again next year.
I suppose my biggest disappointment were the daffodils called Pink Pride. I bought these after the gay parade in Amsterdam last year. The packet showed bright almost fluorescent coloured pink flowers and I was lookin forward to them. I fact I'd been thinking of having the colour scheme this year revolve around the colour pink.
But no, they were never as pink as advertised on the packaging. Peachy pink maybe with soft yellow centers in a certain light or orangy pink if seen in another light. No way were these the pink I hoped they'd be. Not the pink I hoped would do me proud. Not the pink that would scream out 'We're here, we're queer, get used to us'

You can see what they looked like up top (top picture is the packaging and the main reason I bought them, the middle picture is of the pot of dafs at work, picture below that is at home.) Now is it just me or is there a bit of difference?

So far the balcony at the back of my house isn't as pink as I'd like and as soon as we've moved into a new office at work I can start a garden there and bring some plants from home there as well. And start over here at home. In the meantime the agapanthus and hemerocallis, sedums, lillies, rose and most of the alliums are doing fine.

Life's not all bad eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home